Tuesday, May 17, 2005

vehicle frustration or why friends are the bomb

So the transmission went out on our 1980 GMC truck (and most of you who know me are not at all surprised I'm sure. After all, the truck is just a miracle on wheels anyway). Sharing a car until Jeremy can get it fixed has been tricky, but thanks to rides from friends it hasn't been impossible.

Then today, the Honda won't start. And I had to be at work at 6:30 a.m.

What a way to start the day, right? Two cars...two cars down. Which just reafirms my dream and desire to live someplace where I don't have to own a car at all. Or I can at least get to work and the grocery store without a car. Public transportation is something this country really needs to get a handle on. I mean, I know that we're a nation that's in love with our vehicles, and that's not inherently bad (my sources tell me it helped us win WWII), but come on people. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. Those are not dirty words.

Okay, rant over. Now to the good part of the day. If I didn't already know it, Jeremy and I have some awesome friends. Not only have they dropped us off at work, picked us up from work and unflinchingly let us borrow their cars, they didn't bat an eye when I called at 6:30 this morning to borrow the keys to their car so I could get to work. It always humbles me when I think of the kind of true and generous friends God has blessed me with (and not just here in Wilmington -- in Houston, in Arizona, in Arkansas, in Georgia, in Missouri...), and that has never been more apparent than the past couple of weeks.

oh, and does anyone know someone selling a running-condition vehicle for under $500? (haha...in my dreams. Doesn't hurt to ask though, right?)

peace

1 comment:

hellosputnik said...

Ah, I remember the good old days of giving you a ride home from work. Carpooling is so much more fun, unless, of course, you're riding with uninteresting people. I'm sure you know I share your views on public transportation. I still wish I were able take a bus to work (or, preferably, ride my bike) but it just takes way too long. Like Ross, I could see it as being given the gift of time, but, realistically, two to three hours on a bus is a little too much.

My condolences, though, on your car trouble. I know what it's like. And poor grandpa, he must be distraught at being unable to get behind the wheel of the truck right now.