Friday, May 27, 2005

a day at the grocery store

Why would a person spend a day at the grocery store, you might ask. Well, you might if you were getting paid to be there. No, I don't work at the grocer store, but I am occassionally scheduled to man the coffee bar owned by our coffee shop. But that's not the point. The point is, it's BORING. Seriously, one day I read two Entertainment Weeklys cover to cover, did two crossword puzzles and read at least two chapters in the book I was reading. Needless to say, any time I'm working there I'm always trying to occupy my time, and last week I decided to exercise my writing skills a little by practicing my people descriptions ( I had read an article on that in a Writer's Digest magazine), trying to make my descriptions more interesting and alive. So I got out my notebook and started describing various grocery store employees. It was actually very interesting and fun, although technically I guess I was "reading a book by it's cover." What made it more interesting was later in the week hearing someone I work with comment about the same people....the difference being she actually knows them a little better. It's always fun to see how your first impressions jive with reality. And it was fun creatively to stretch myself, trying to get away from "She had dark eyes and blonde hair and a pretty smile." or "His eyes were as blue as the sea, his hair like corn." whatever.

Okay, so not terribly interesting post. just a slice from my life. happy Memorial Day.

No comments: