Tuesday, November 16, 2010

...

Scott sat in Mrs. Peters office and relayed the information about the posthole digger, and Mrs. Peters told Scott about her conversation with Stephanie.

“I think I know what’s going on,” Scott said. “As crazy as it sounds, I think Teresa Williams is behind this, and I think Jill – at the very least – is helping her. It’s the only thing that makes sense, particularly in light of Teresa’s ‘you’re a shining star who’s really proved herself’ speech, and the fact that another cheerleader expressed fear. Clearly, the situation with the cheer squad is dysfunctional.”

Mrs. Peters nodded her head, her eyes sad. “I think you’re right. And I think it must have been Jill who was digging that whole. But what should we do?”

“I think we need to talk to Jenni. I think she’s on the edge of this, and knows enough to make all of our evidence come together. But she’s not all in the way Jill is. If we can get Jenni to confirm what we know, we’ll have an eye witness. We can go to the police.”

They were silent for a moment, both processing their disgust and disappointment at the whole situation. Then Mrs. Peters sat up, determination as well as resignation on her face. “I’ll talk to Jenni,” she said. “But then I want to try just confronting Teresa and Jill. As satisfying as justice would be I just don’t want to drag this out any longer than necessary. Those hurt girls are moving on; let’s just let it go. Honestly, I think not having a cheer coaching job will be punishment enough for Teresa.”

Scott wasn’t convinced, but respected Mrs. Peters enough to trust her judgement. “Just promise me if she doesn’t immediately resign, that you’ll let me call the police.”

“I promise.”

No comments: