Tuesday, November 16, 2010

...

Scott leaned back in his desk chair, phone at his ear. “So you’re sure?” he asked.

“Absolutely,” said Bill Futch, owner of the lawn care company that Eastbrook contracted to take care of the grounds and athletic fields. “I came out this week to double check and you don’t have a gopher problem. But I do think you may have a vandal problem.”

“What do you mean?”

“When asked the crew that normally goes out to Eastbrook about any sign of gophers, one of the guys said that a couple of weeks ago he saw a girl out in the practice field digging a hole with a post-hole digger.”

“Come again?” Scott said, sitting upright in his chair.

“I know, I know. Seems crazy. And I got onto the guy for not telling me about it, but yeah, he said a pretty girl with blonde hair was out there at 5:30 a.m. digging with a post hole digger.”

“Thanks, Bill,” Scott said, his mind racing.

No comments: