Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Blue Converse All-Stars


Next in my series on remembering friends....(and I promise they won't all involve a pair of shoes).

I have a pair of classic low-top Converse shoes. "Chuck Taylors" as my friend Curt used to call them; and I'll admit something to you all: these shoes are an out-and-out copycat purchase. My first college roommate Sonya Sawyer wore a maroon pair almost every day our freshman year, and, well, in this case immitation is, in fact, the most sincere form of flattery. Naturally, when I wear them now (much less frequently than I did then, but often enough to justify their existence) I think of Sonya. Many things make me think of Sonya, and in different ways; but in relation to my Chuck's, I think of getting to know Sonya. Of finding a friend who grew up in California -- quite a bit removed from my home of Missouri -- but who almost instantly became a soul friend. Sonya knew more about music and liturature than I did, but we had very similar tastes. She was a bit more of a free spirit than I was at the time, but just by being herself she encouraged me to let loose a little. And she always -- and I mean ALWAYS -- understood what I meant, no matter how convoluted it sounded; even if I didn't understand myself.

The best part? Even though we naturally kept growing and changing, exploring different paths, and moving half-way across the country, Sonya is still a soul friend. Guess that's kind of part of the definition, huh?

1 comment:

Amanda W said...

Rachel! I'm so glad you found me. :) I miss you all too.