Tuesday, December 02, 2008

And this is love...

I could see Pete's hands shaking, but his face was resolute. He turned to the rest of us, as frozen as the Great Lakes in January.
"Bye, guys," he said.
His words pushed us into motion, and for a few minutes it was hugs and tears. I saw Paul and John talking in the corner, John's face peaceful and stubborn while Paul's skin seemed two sizes two small as it stretched tightly across his pained face.
It was my turn for goodbye, but I wasn't ready.
"I'm coming with you," I said, surprising myself.
"No." Pete's response was immediate.
"Yes." I could be stubborn too. "I'm coming.You'll have to punch me out to stop me."
I could tell he was thinking about it, but as I braced myself Paul and John walked up.
"We're going to drive you," Paul said, putting a hand on Pete's shoulder. "Let's go."
We followed Paul out to his car. John slid into the passenger seat, while Pete and I climbed in the back. The two thugs got into their shiny car and we followed them out of the driveway.

No comments: