Tuesday, September 19, 2006

some movies

It was a movie watching weekend, so I thought I'd pass along some recommendations. Went to the theater and saw Invincible with Mark Wahlberg. I really enjoyed it. It's based on the true story of Vince Papale, a walk-on player for the Philedelphia Eagles in the 70's. (sorry, don't remember the exact year). A feel-good, sports movie, yes. But a good one. It really makes you feel for Papale.

Also watched Dear Frankie and Prime (both rented). Dear Frankie is a Scottish movie, about a boy whose mom pretends to write him letters from his dad, then one day has to hire a guy to be the boy's dad for the day. Sounds like it might be annoying (the lying) and contrived, but it's not. To me anyway. The movie makes you sympathise with the mom, while still thinking her choice is pretty stupid.

Prime is about a 37 year old woman (Uma Thurman) who starts unknowingly dating her therapist's (Meryl Streep) 23-year-old son. Funny and dramatic, and of course Uma and Meryl are great. The son (I didn't recognize him from anything else) is good as well. There are a lot of very realistically awkward scenes, which is fun. And I like that it's a romantic movie where I can't guess if the couple ends up together or no until right at the end.

1 comment:

erinlo said...

Guess I have some movies to add to our Netflix que! We're always up for a good Amanda W recommendation.

Hey- guess what? The 1960 Sun called and interviewed us today about the adoption. They're going to do a story about us. The girl that interviewed us knows you and said she reads your blog!!! She was really nice- although I made a blubbering fool of myself over certain questions she asked me because I'd get all choked up.

Hope ya'll are doing well. How's the business coming???