Monday, November 07, 2005

movie trailers

I love a good movie trailer. To me, if I watch a movie without some trailers in front of it, I feel gypped.

However....

What I don't like are movie trailers that give the entire movie away....the plot, the twist, the funny stuff, the dramatic stuff, the beginning, the middle and the end. Leave a little to the imagination people! Make me want to see it! Don't make the trailer all I want to see!
What I also don't like are completely misleading trailers. Now, I know enough to know that sometimes movies get further editing/reworking after the trailer is cut together. Understandable. But haven't you ever seen a trailer for a movie, then gone to see the movie and thought you were in the wrong theater? (or that your dvd got switched with another). Sometimes, what you acutally see is dissapointing (see: Cider House Rules). Often, it's a pleasant surprise (see: Wicker Park and most recently In Good Company).

What do you think?

2 comments:

Jason said...

I love trailers too!

You're on all counts, too. I actually have an idea to make a fake trailer for a movie that gives everything away... a trailer that is so comprehensive, that I wouldn't even have to bother actually making the movie... The "Cast Away" trailer is a perfect example of giving too much away, I think. I love the movie, but the trailer should have ended with us not knowing whether he gets off the island or not... instead, practically get a chart and a timeline.

"Jarhead" is a recent trailer I really liked, which didn't give anything away and accurately reflected the tone of the movie... It just kind of gave you the vibe, and that's all.

I think my favorite trailer ever is for "The Year of Living Dangerously"... It really isn't that spectacular, but it's somehow perfect. I like the voice over and visuals at the end.

Jason said...

I meant to say you're 'right' on all counts... Dang-a-rang. And right after I blogged about typos, too!