Friday, October 01, 2010

...

“Jill, please don’t yell at me, but I’m a little scared about the game this weekend.” Jenni Wright’s voice was so low and her eyes kept darting around.

“Jenni what’s the matter?” Jill closed her locker and began walking down the hall toward the courtyard. “Is it because it’s a playoff game? You know the guys are doing really well and that they’ve beat this team before. I’m sure it’ll be okay.”

“No. I mean, yes, of course I’m concerned about the team; we all want them to get to state so bad. No…I’m nervous about the pyramids.”

“Jenni listen to me carefully,” Jill’s voice low, but intense. “No one is going to get hurt. No one. I promise.”

“But how can…”

“No one.”

Jenni stared at Jill. Her eyes widened slightly, but she quickly assumed her mask, sealing away any thoughts or doubts or emotions.

“I guess that’s all I needed to hear,” she said.“See you tomorrow.”

Jill watched Jenni walk out the door, noting that Jenni’s jeans had gotten a little tight over the past few months; maybe it was time to have another nutrition session at one of their practices. Jill gave herself a shake. No matter. She had more important things to think about than Jenni’s weight. She pushed open the door, but instead of heading out to the student parking she turned toward the gym and Ms. Williams office.

“We may have a small problem,” she said, sitting down in one of the plush chairs in Ms. Williams’ office, oblivious to the figure in the corner. Even Ms. Williams had forgotten that Scott was rewiring the outlet.

“Oh?” Ms. Williams’ perfectly sculpted eyebrows rose. “I thought we were done with problems.”

“Well, the big ones yes, but one of the girls talked to me today and she’s pretty concerned that someone else is going to get hurt. I reassured her and I think she understood, but maybe we should take it easy for a while. Also,” she hesitated for a brief moment. “I think Jenni’s put on a little weight.”

Jill watched Ms. Williams closely, knowing that by making a suggestion she was taking a risk, especially a suggestion that amounted to “back off,.” But Ms. Williams surprised her by smiling.

“It’s so wonderful to see you taking ownership of this team,” she said, leaning forward in her leather chair. “Because you are out there with these girls every day I’m going to respect your judgment.”

“Really?”

Ms. Williams laughed, a light, golden sound. “Don’t sound so surprised Jill. You’re ready. You’ve proven that. Jill, you are an amazing girl, bright and intelligent and personable – a real star. I know I’ve told you this a hundred times but you have the potential to go anywhere you want to go. And cheerleading will help you get there. You’re a senior now, and it’s time I trusted you as much as everyone else around here.”

Jill sat up straighter. “I won’t let you down Ms. Williams. You know this squad means everything to me.”

“I know, and I understand like no one else around here does,” she said with another smile. “See you at practice tomorrow.”

No comments: