Sunday, September 19, 2010

...

The next few weeks rolled along with no other unusual events at Eastbrook – classes began to dig deeper, the drama program began rehearsals for their fall play, the sports teams practiced and played, and Missy and Stephanie came back to school eager to get back into a normal routine.

“It’s so good to have you back,” Mrs. Peters smiled at the tiny blonde sitting on her couch. “How’s your back”

“Doing a lot better,” Missy said. “I’m off the prescription pain killers; just ibuprofen now. But I’m glad that it’s fall because I have such a wicked bruise. I totally could not be seen in a bathing suit right now.”

“Will you be back on the team in time for basketball season?” It was an innocent question Mrs. Peters thought, so she was shocked to see Missy completely shut down.

“Actually,” she said. “I’m pretty sure that I’m not going to be cheering any more this year. I think it’ll be better if I just take a break for a while. It keeps me pretty busy you know, and I’m taking photography next semester. I’ll probably be glad to have the extra time to spend shooting and stuff.”

“Well that’s great, dear,” Mrs. Peters said, pretending not to notice. “My daughter-in-law loves photography and I’m sure you’ll find it quite fun. Well, here you go.”

Mrs. Peters handed her the official “excused from all tests this week” letter and sent her back to class. Missy smiled – this time with her eyes as well – and waved as she walked out the door, long blond hair swinging.

Very interesting, Mrs. Peters thought. I wonder what Stephanie’s going to say.

“The choir has a pretty heavy concert schedule next semester,” Stephanie said, as her shoulders slumped uncharacteristically and she avoided Mrs. Peters’ eyes. “It’ll be better if I don’t have any conflicts and I’m not in any hurry to test out how my ankle will hold up to a landing.”

Mrs. Peters smiled to try and relax the girl a little. “I look forward to hearing some of those concerts,” she said. “The choir is extremely good this year.”

“Thanks,” Stephanie smiled and her posture unfolded a little. “Umm…I should probably get to class. Thanks for the note.”

Mrs. Peters shook her head after Stephanie left. Maybe she was reading too much into things, but she’d never seen three girls within two months be excited to be hurt and unable to participate in cheerleading. When Jenni McCormick had sprained her wrist last year she sat in Mrs. Peters office and cried every day until Ms. Williams let her back on the squad. Of course, Jenni had sprained her wrist on a ski trip. Maybe the girls this year were a little traumatized after being injured on the job so to speak.

No comments: